Labour Walkout at Nairobi Hub Triggers Widespread Flight Delays

Labour Walkout at Nairobi Hub Triggers Widespread Flight Delays

Flight operations at Nairobi's principal international airport were disrupted on Monday after aviation industry workers staged a planned strike, leaving departures delayed by hours and passengers stranded as controllers and ground staff withdrew labour amid a long-running pay and conditions dispute.

Delays, backups and passengers stuck on aircraft

Departing flights faced delays of up to four hours, with some passengers remaining onboard for extended periods while crews waited for air traffic control clearance. The walkout created a backlog across the airport, one of the region's busiest gateways, and forced several travellers to abandon air journeys and seek alternate transport by road.

National carrier advisories warned customers to check flight status before travelling to the airport as operators sought to manage cascading schedule changes. Airport management activated contingency plans intended to limit disruption, but the volume of delayed departures and arrivals meant queues and wait times persisted throughout the day.

Union demands and the legal standoff

Members of the aviation workers union said the action began at 06: 00 local time (03: 00 GMT), about 10: 00 PM ET the previous day, and affected both passenger services and airline operations across the country. Union leaders cited stalled salary negotiations, delayed remittances to the union and allegations of discrimination and poor working conditions as core grievances prompting the strike.

Regulatory authority management sought a court order last week aimed at halting the planned action, but that effort was suspended pending further directions from the labour court. With talks and legal processes underway, both sides remain in a standoff that has spilled into frontline airport operations and passenger schedules.

Contingency measures and outlook

Airport administrators said safety remained their priority and that contingency measures were being implemented to preserve essential services. Airlines and ground handlers adjusted schedules and worked to clear the backlog where possible, but officials cautioned that passenger experience could continue to be affected until the dispute is resolved.

The hub handled roughly nine million passengers last year, making any prolonged disruption a significant concern for regional connectivity. Union leaders insist the strike will continue until meaningful progress is made on pay and working conditions, while management indicates it is engaging relevant parties within the framework of labour law and court directions.

Travellers with flights scheduled in the coming days are being urged to confirm flight status before travelling to the airport and to expect potential schedule adjustments. The pace and outcome of negotiations and pending court rulings will likely determine how quickly normal flight operations can be restored.