Guthrie update: Family pleads for Nancy Guthrie’s return as investigation continues
A week after Nancy Guthrie vanished from her home near Tucson, Arizona, her daughter, U.S. television host Savannah Guthrie, issued a new public plea on Saturday, Feb. 7, urging whoever has her mother to bring her back and saying the family is prepared to pay for her safe return. Authorities say they believe the 84-year-old was taken against her will, and they have not announced any suspects or arrests as of Sunday, Feb. 8.
What changed in the last 48 hours
Investigators confirmed they are evaluating a newly surfaced message connected to the case, with officials working to determine whether it is authentic. The family’s latest appeal referenced that communication and emphasized urgency, describing their focus as getting Nancy Guthrie home safely.
Law enforcement also renewed activity around the residence and nearby area in recent days as part of the ongoing evidence collection and neighborhood canvass. Officials have cautioned that they are pursuing many leads, but have not identified a person of interest publicly.
What authorities have said so far
Officials have described Nancy Guthrie as frail with very limited mobility, arguing she would not have been able to leave the home unassisted. Investigators have also said testing matched blood found on the home’s front porch to Nancy Guthrie, reinforcing the view that this is not a voluntary disappearance.
Authorities have pointed to a failure of home video capture as a key challenge. Investigators determined the home’s doorbell camera was disconnected around the time of her disappearance, and while system data indicated movement at the property shortly afterward, usable footage was not recovered.
The reward and the search footprint
Federal investigators announced a $50,000 reward for information that leads to Nancy Guthrie’s recovery, or to the arrest and conviction of anyone involved in her disappearance. Officials have urged the public to focus on verifiable tips and to avoid spreading unconfirmed claims that could complicate the investigation.
Search efforts have included neighborhood outreach and follow-ups on incoming information. Authorities have not publicly detailed whether they are treating communications tied to ransom demands as verified, saying only that they are reviewing messages and tips for credibility.
Key takeaways right now
-
Investigators say the case shows signs of a forced abduction, including blood evidence linked to Nancy Guthrie.
-
No suspects or people of interest have been named publicly as of Sunday, Feb. 8.
-
A $50,000 reward remains in effect as officials vet new messages and continue ground work.
What to watch next
The next major near-term development will likely be whether investigators confirm any communication as genuine and actionable. If officials determine the newly surfaced message is authentic, it could shape how resources are deployed and how quickly specific leads move from evaluation to operational action.
Separately, public statements from senior officials have suggested confidence that progress could come soon, though authorities have not provided a timeline or specific investigative breakthrough. For now, the search remains active, with officials stressing that tips—especially those tied to direct sightings, vehicles, or credible contacts—are the most immediate way the public can help.
Sources consulted: Reuters; Associated Press; ABC News; The Wall Street Journal